Tuesday, October 18, 2011

homemade spinach ravioli wontons

I keep seeing recipes for homemade ravioli made easy with wonton skins, and last Thursday I finally decided to try my hand at making them myself! Little did I know that 5 of my friends would also like to try my food experiment, and I ended up making homemade spinach raviolis for 6 people, after a full day at the office, and a hardcore work out. *phew* I may have been exhausted at the end of it all, but it may have been worth it :)

Stuff you need: 1. Wonton skins 2. 1 Tub ricotta cheese 3. 2 bags spinach 3. Your favorite pasta sauce

Start by sautéing your freshly washed spinach in a little bit of olive oil, until it's completely cooked down. Now drain it, chop it, and mix it together with the tub of ricotta cheese, and any spice that you might fancy- I like garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper.

Next, bring a big pot of salted water to boil while you start assembling your raviolis. For the pasta construction, simply take 1 square wonton skin, and place a little ricotta/spinach mixture in the middle- no more than 1 tablespoon. Now wet your finger with a little water, run it along the outside of the wonton skin, and then stack another skin on top, just like you're making a little sandwich. Smush the edges together with your finger or a fork, and there you have yourself your first ravioli!

Now do this like, 100 more times- or until you're out of filling- and when the water is at a rolling boil, start popping them in the water 2 or 3 at a time. They only need to cook for a couple minutes, and when they float to the top, pull them out with a spoon, slather them with your sauce, and plate it up!
Sounds simple, right? Minus the tedious factor, this is actually quite an easy meal. The wonton skins make the raviolis much lighter than their normal doughy counterparts, and they come together much faster than the traditional ones too. Unfortunately, individually stuffing 35 or so raviolis is just time consuming as hell, and near the end, I was so over it. Luckily, they turned out pretty delicious, and I'd be excited to try making them again- just not on a week night :)

Also, big thanks to all my fabulous photographers and taste-testers. I'm so glad you guys could join in on my culinary adventures- hopefully next time we'll eat before 9 pm. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment