Thursday, June 9, 2011

chipotle sausage cous cous bowl

Ever since I made those fantastic faux-rizo and Anaheim enchiladas a few weeks ago, I've had the rest of the Field Roast chipotle sausages sitting in my fridge. I kept thinking I'd save them for something special, but tonight they called to me, and I threw them together with some fresh produce for a cous cous bowl with a south-of-the-border zing.

Stuff you need: 1. Cous cous- or rice 2. Meatless chorizo 3. Fresh veggies 4. Salsa 5. Spices

Start off by placing a pot of water on the stove for the cous cous- this grain works best with a 1:1 ratio of water, so measure accordingly. When the water is boiling, throw in the cous cous, give it a stir, pull it off the heat, and put the lid on.

While the cous cous is sitting, chop up your chipotle sausage and fresh veggies into bite sized pieces- tonight I found spinach, tomato, and orange cauliflower- oh yes. Orange. Throw the cauliflower and sausage into a warmed skilled with a little olive oil, and sauté the mixture for about 5 minutes. Next, throw in the spinach and tomato, and season everything with your favorite flavors- salt, pepper, cumin, and hot sauce!

When your faux-rizo/veggie concoction is heated through and smelling amazing, fluff the cous cous with a fork, place it into a nice deep bowl, and then top it with your veggies and meat. Slather a little salsa on top, mix everything together, and dig in! A little spicy, super fresh, and pretty hearty- the perfect combination for my Thursday night meal.
I like the juxtaposition between the light, fluffy cous cous, and the thick, chunky sausage- it's a hearty meal, that still feels like it's on the lighter side. I also love the little kick from the Field Roast chorizo, and the bright colors of the spinach and cauliflower. Tonight was definitely a "throw-everything-you-can-find-into-a-skillet" kind of night, but the outcome was successful. I even whipped up a vegan BLT wrap for tomorrow's lunch! What a tasty, productive evening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment