Monday, January 17, 2011

mac & ribs- product reviews

I always get inappropriately excited when I find cool new veggie products that I've never tried before. I just wanted to mention two fantastic items that I've recently stumbled on.
1. Hickory BBQ Riblets from Morningstar Farms. They come with 2 little riblets (shown above) and are frozen in their own sauce. Heat up the oven to 350, and 30 minutes later, they're good to go. I think my carvinorous friends were super jealous when my ribs took half the time to make, and tasted just as good as theirs. No really. The riblets have a good texture, and the flavor was great. DEFINITELY needs some more BBQ sauce on top, but otherwise a totally tasty dinner. Oh! And too boot, it's vegan! Yayy!

2. Vegan Rice Macaroni & Cheeze from Amy's. Now I know the thought of gluten AND dairy free macaroni and cheese sounds repulsive, but let me tell you differently. First and foremost, I love that this exists in the first place. People with specialty diets rejoice! I also love that it's a quick, frozen meal that you can pop in the microwave anytime. 5 minutes later, you have a hot, sinless meal, that's surprisingly delicious. Now this definitely isn't your mom's gooey, cheesey, mac 'n' cheese, so when you dig in, don't expect that. The cheese flavor is a little off, but it's actually pretty good for being vegan! If you're not used to the taste of vegan dairy substitutes, you have been warned. Otherwise, stir it up, and enjoy!

Before I end, I'd like to pass on one more bit of vegan fun. I found this article by Mark Bittman, and I love the message. It's mostly press for his new book, but he also mentions how we revamped his lifestyle with a pesudo-vegan diet- "vegan until six"- and is now happier and healthier than ever. I like his thoughts about finding a diet that fits your lifestyle, especially one that's good for your body, and kind to the earth. Just something cool to think about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment